Thursday, August 11, 2016

Book: The Secrets She Kept by Brenda Novak

The Secrets She Kept The Secrets She Kept by Brenda Novak
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I received an e-copy of this book from the author for the purposes of providing a review.

The Secrets She Kept is a sequel to The Secret Sister. In this one, Josephine, a force of nature in her children's lives, is dead. Why? How?

Keith, who has been away for five years, getting and staying sober, making his own fortune, basically learning who he is without his family around, returns to the island to take care of the details. His sisters are more than capable, but he feels he needs closure, and wants to take care of things himself.

I loved that the siblings' relationship was a major part of the story. Roxanne was a "new" addition to the family in the prior book, and in this one, she's an established part of the family hierarchy. Maisey and Keith talk to her regularly.

There were mentions of Rafe and Maisey and their kids, and Roxanne's marriage has a fairly strong focus here, too. Along with that, of course, is the mystery (even if only in Keith's mind) of how Josephine died, who her new boyfriend was, and Keith re-establishing his friendship with Nancy.

The balance between all the elements was good, never leaving me feeling like anything was missing or getting short shrift. Though I enjoyed the first one, I think I might like this one a wee bit better.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment