Thursday, May 24, 2012

Movie: Sleeping Dogs Lie

Please note: there is implied bestiality referred to in this movie several times. That doesn't bother me, but if that squicks you, go find another movie to watch. Really.

For the most part, I really enjoyed this movie. I really wasn't expecting much. I mean, Bobcat Goldthwaite? So, the end result was quite a pleasant surprise.

There are some incredibly nuanced family moments scattered throughout the movie. Melinda Page Hamilton puts in a good enough performance for an unknown that I can see she will be really great in the right part.

Amy's brother was played so kooky as to border on caricature, though his reaction to the news at the prison was particularly well done.

The friendship-at-work chemistry between Amy and Ed was really great, and I would have loved to see that relationship grow into something really intimate, as friends. Once they crossed the line into a romance, they were just not convincing. The speed with which Amy "recovered" from breaking up with John and moved into something with Ed was completely ridiculous. Though the film ended on a Happily Ever After note, I know that's one relationship that isn't going to last long.

Regardless of how unbelievable I felt their relationship to be, I enjoyed this film quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment