Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Rest of the Books, Part I

I checked out all these books at the library, and no money changed hands anywhere.

Suzanne Brockman, Hot Pursuit: this is one of the FBI series I mentioned in another blog post about Brockman's books.  Turns out, I'd read this one before, and just didn't feel like re-reading, but I do remember that I enjoyed it the first time, so go, read!

Hot Pursuit: A Novel

Nora Roberts, Carolina Moon:  small-town girl survives an abusive childhood, leaves home and decides to return to the small town to bury some old memories.  There's action, romance, suspense, and a twist that I didn't see coming.  Good, solid, Nora Roberts read.

Carolina Moon

Jayne Ann Krentz, Smoke in Mirrors:  librarian leaves her full-time job to investigate the death of a friend.  Decent action, solid mystery and the killer is not who you think it is.  I'd read this one before, but didn't realize it until I was a pretty good way in, so I just kept reading.  I enjoyed reading it again.

Smoke in Mirrors

Carla Neggers, The Whisper:  blah, with an extra helping of blah, and a side of blah, to boot.  This was a continuation of another Neggers book, which I recall enjoying a lot.  This one, not so much.  There were too many references to past events (possibly two books, one for sure, because I read it), and too much of this book was taken with those references, leaving not enough of this book about this book's events and plot points.  Until near the end, I wasn't even sure there was a romance in this book, even though I know that Neggers writes romantic suspense.  Overall, this book was a disappointment.  It might even be a strong enough disappointment that I won't pick up another of her books for quite a while.

The Whisper

J. D. Robb, Fantasy in Death:  Nora Roberts alter-ego writes another Eve Dallas romantic suspense novel, and I enjoyed this one immensely!  I loved all the tech talk, knowing that some of this tech is available now, even if only to the military.  It's an interesting whodunit, and though the killer is foreshadowed, I wasn't sure until the end where Eve starts figuring it out and setting up her sting.

Just a few examples why I love Robb's Eve Dallas:

Peabody's dissecting the amorous activity of one of the suspects, and overloads Eve, who replies, "See now I've got this image of some cock sitting at a swim-up bar at a resort, wearing sunshades and drinking one of those stupid drinks full of fruit and paper umbrellas."  I actually laughed out loud at the visual!

Eve and Roark are finishing up some alone time and Eve tells Roark, "Lawyers and shrinks and suspects," to which Roark replies, "Oh my."  Eve just looks at Roark, puzzled.  I love that Eve is not afraid to not know something.  She knows that nearly anyone is more tuned into pop culture than she is, and she's OK with that.

And, last, her opinion on parties:  "...because that's the problem with parties.  You have to get dressed up then talk to a bunch of people you'll probably never see again and you don't care about their opinions or life stories anyway."  A woman after my own heart, though I tend to attend parties where I actually know someone.  If I don't know anyone, what's the point of going?  lol

Fantasy in Death

Maggie Shayne, Charlaine Harris and Barbara Hambly, Night's Edge:  three novellas about the things that go bump in the night.  I enjoyed each of these shorts, though I most enjoyed the last one, Someone Else's Shadow by Barbara Hambly.  Suspense, romance and action, in little bite-sized pieces.  lol

Night's Edge: Dancers in the Dark\Her Best Enemy\Someone Else's Shadow

No comments:

Post a Comment