Monday, November 8, 2010

Marine One

I just finished Marine One by James Huston.  I read quite a variety of books, and lately, I've been reading more law/law enforcement/military/federal/etc themed books.

Marine One is about the President's helicopter going down, and the lawsuit that follows.

There are parts in which the writer is a bit condescending toward his audience, unintentionally, I'm sure.  I like for an author to assume that if I'm reading this book, I've read others or I find the subject matter interesting.  I want to avoid excesses of exposition.  The book is written in the first person, from the POV of the defendant's attorney, so it's possible that it's the character who's a little too talky rather than the author.  Either way, there are more than a few places where he "tells" rather than "shows." 

The Main main characters are fairly well fleshed-out, and some of the secondary characters are one-dimensional or two-dimensional.  The attorney's wife, for example, is mentioned in passing half a dozen times, and then gets two spots toward the end of the book where she gets a whole paragraph.  I didn't feel I knew her well enough for her to advance to a major minor role at the end.

The denouement in the courtroom virtually ended the book.  It was a rather abrupt ending.

Let me be clear, I did enjoy this book, just not as much as I expected to do.

Let me also mention that if you click on the picture, I get a wee (very wee) bit of money if you buy the book through that link.  You are welcome to go to amazon's website directly, or hit your local library. That's where I got mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment