Friday, June 3, 2011

30-day Writing Challenge, Day One

Today's writing prompt:
The world is powered by passionate people, powerful ideas, and fearless action. What’s one strong belief you possess that isn’t shared by your closest friends or family? What inspires this belief, and what have you done to actively live it?
(Author: Buster Benson)

I believe that I am a good person, a person worth knowing.  There are some in my family who think I'm one of the most worthless human beings to walk the Earth.  The "friends" that have believed that are dropped by the wayside as quickly as possible.  Family, that's not so easy to do.

What inspires this belief?  Maturity?  Years of therapy?  I'm not sure.  I do know there was a time in my life when I didn't believe it, and now it's unshakeable.

How do I actively live it?  I respect myself.  I use my manners.  I am pro-active about doing random acts of kindness for others, preferably anonymous acts, though an occasional pat on the back is heartening.  I compliment parents when I see their children behaving well in public - I know how hard this is to achieve.  I was unable to do these things when I didn't believe in myself, and now I know my goodness well enough to recognize it in others.  It's a never-ending cycle of positive energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment