Sunday, June 12, 2011

30-day Writing Challenge, Day Five

Our arts, our occupations, our marriages, our religion, we have not chosen, but society has chosen for us. We are parlour soldiers. We shun the rugged battle of fate, where strength is born. – Ralph Waldo Emerson

“Next to Resistance, rational thought is the artist or entrepreneurs worst enemy. Bad things happen when we employ rational thought, because rational thought comes from the ego. Instead, we want to work from the Self, that is, from instinct and intuition, from the unconscious.

A child has no trouble believing the unbelievable, nor does the genius or the madman. Its only you and I, with our big brains and our tiny hearts, who doubt and overthink and hesitate.” - Steven Pressfield, Do the Work

The idea of “being realistic” holds all of us back. From starting a business or quitting a job to dating someone who may not be our type or moving to a new place – getting “real” often means putting your dreams on hold.

Today, let’s take a step away from rational thought and dare to be bold. What’s one thing you’ve always wanted to accomplish but have been afraid to pursue? Write it down. Also write down the obstacles in your way of reaching your goal. Finally, write down a tangible plan to overcome each obstacle.

The only thing left is to, you know, actually go make it happen. What are you waiting for? (Author: Matt Cheuvront)

I've always wanted to go back to school, but single-parenting, and the lack of money that goes with it, always kept me from trying.  Well, I'm not a single parent any more, or won't be very, very shortly.  So, I'll have time to go to school, just have to find the money.  I also want to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.  That one's not so easy.  I love so many things, and I so want for my next career to be something I'm happy doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment