Tuesday, January 4, 2011

First book finished in 2011

Three Fates by Nora Roberts

I can nearly always count on Nora Roberts to write a good book, so if I see something that even remotely sounds interesting, I can pick it up without hesitation.

Three Fates is that good, solid book.  It has seven or eight main characters, and each is well-written.  Of course, the three fates as a collective are a character in and of themselves.  Each character, or set of characters, is given an opportunity to be on top so the reader gets to know them. 

Because of the number of main characters, and the chance each got to be up front, when I finished the book, I actually felt like it was a bit too short.  So much was put into characterizing that the last few chapters of mostly action weren't really enough for me.  Some of the personal advances seemed wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am.  I must note that I enjoyed reading the book, and while I was reading, this too much, too fast didn't feel that way.  It's only on reflection afterwards that it seems that way.  

I liked the characters (the ones I was supposed to like, anyway), even the peripheral ones.  I'd like to read more about the core family characters, whether back in Ireland on their home turf, or on travels related to the job, in the case of Jack and Rebecca.  I'd like for Ms. Roberts to find a way to work the cop and the Greek Tycoon into the background of another book or two.  The cop might even be able to carry a book on his own (with a female companion, obviously - this is Nora Roberts).

Bottom line - I enjoyed it and it was a good use of my reading time.

I read the hardcover version of this book, and I don't remember where I got it.  I do know that I paid for it, so I got nothing out of this except the pleasure of reading a good book.

Three Fates

No comments:

Post a Comment