Thursday, January 31, 2013

Book: The Moon Stealers and the Quest for the Silver Bough


I received a digital copy of this book, to review for Addicted to Books.

I think this is a YA book, and it’s a pretty good example of why I don’t read much in this genre: it’s by turns simplistic and overly expositional, written for younger teens and tweens, without much appeal to an older audience.  There is some attempt to counteract that with a B story about an MI-6 agent and aliens, and those chapters are markedly different in writing style and tone than the ones that focus on the main plot.  I'm not sure how the disparate stories are intended to connect with each other.

I had trouble making myself read this one - there are too many “main” characters and the story itself wasn’t very compelling to me.  I found myself skimming paragraphs, trying to find a more interesting piece of the puzzle.

In addition, it ends at a very odd place, not right in the middle of a scene, but close to it.  Obviously, the author plans to release a sequel or sequels; I am not interested enough to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment