Monday, January 31, 2011

My first Amazon "experiment"

Well, I thought I'd see how a person could make any money offering books, CDs and DVDs for a penny on Amazon.  I mean, I'm competing against that price whenever I list stuff.

So, I listed a book I got free for a one penny sales price.  And the experiment worked.

I just listed the book yesterday as soon as I'd finished writing the review, and it sold this evening.

With the Amazon built-in shipping, I made a whopping $1.66 for that book.  But wait, there's more!  I also had to pay for shipping to ship it to its new owner, to the tune of $3.07.

Basically, I can list books (let's just leave it at books, OK?) for a penny, but I lose about a buck and a half on the transaction.

Bottom line?  My minimum price for a break even transaction is about $1.50 for a book.  That's good to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment